Andersonville Prison Camp
The Confederates established the Andersonville prison camp at Camp Sumter, Georgia, in January, 1864. During the camp’s fourteenth months of operation, it held more than 45,000 Union soldiers, of whom nearly 13,000 died.
Although Andersonville is now the most notorious of the Civil War prison camps, it was not the only one at which soldiers suffered from starvation, malnutrition, and disease. During the first two years of the Civil War, prisoners were more likely to be exchanged than held in camps, but this changed in 1863. Prison camps proliferated on both sides. President Lincoln introduced regulations for the treatment of prisoners of war as part of a larger code of conduct for war. The “Lieber Code” of 1863 specified that captured soldiers were the prisoners “of the government and not the captor” and should be accorded basic human rights.
Two men from Cornwall, Cpl. Pierre Guy and Pvt. Martin Hull, were imprisoned at Andersonville. Guy survived and was paroled; Hull died from disease and malnutrition on August 27, 1864.