In 1882, a little over one acre of land on the mountain’s peak was purchased from the Hunts Lyman Iron Company by Cynthia J. “Nina” White and Henry Norton in order to build a tower for sightseeing. Outdoor recreation and the enjoyment of nature had become popular all over the country.
Mohawk Tower opened with great fanfare on July 4, 1883 and quickly became a popular picnic site. For twenty-five cents, visitors could climb the tower and use a telescope to enjoy the view. During the 1890s, interest in maintaining the tower dwindled, and it fell into disrepair. It was finally knocked down by a strong wind in 1898.