Donate to our Collection

The Cornwall Historical Society (CHS) actively collects personal and family papers (diaries, letters, and other personal records), the records of institutions and organizations such as churches and clubs, printed materials, photographs, art, and artifacts that document the history of Cornwall and provide context for our overall collection. The CHS collects materials from all time periods and is particularly interested in acquiring letters, diaries, and other personal accounts written by individuals who lived in Cornwall.

Please contact the CHS before sending any material to be sure that it fits the society’s collecting policy. To discuss a possible donation please email the curator and describe the object or collection you wish to donate.

Sorry, We Are Unable to Provide Appraisals

The Cornwall Historical Society collects material for its historical value. As an interested party in a possible donation, the Society is unable to provide a financial appraisal of a collection or even a single item’s value.

We can, however, provide information about how you can have your materials appraised. The most common resource we suggest is the American Society of Appraisers (ASA).

American Society of Appraisers
P.O. Box 17265
Washington, DC 20041
703/478-2228; 800/272-8258

International Society of Appraisers
Riverview Plaza Office Park
International Society of Appraisers
1131 SW 7th Street, Suite 105
Renton, WA 98005
206/241-0359; Fax: 206/241-0436

Appraisers Association of America
386 Park Avenue South, Suite 2000
New York, NY 10016

If a donor has acquired an appraisal before the time of donation, the Society would appreciate receiving a copy of the written appraisal.

The Cornwall Historical Society is a non-profit institution. Donors can claim a tax deduction on gifts to the CHS based on a financial appraisal of the donation. The owner of the material must pay the cost of obtaining an outside appraisal, but the cost of the appraisal is also tax-deductible. The CHS recommends that donors check with an attorney or financial adviser about any and all tax implications.